Saturday, July 4, 2015

Some ponderings - "what you do for the least of these you do for me"

The other night we walked up and down mosque road (the biggest mosque in Bangalore is located here). During Ramadan every night they have little food stalls up and down this street. The food smells amazing, it is really crowded and there is so many different things to eat. 

We went with some friends and they got me to try all sorts of things. From beef chilli, to chicken Kabab, to sweet lime soda, and I even tried camel! It was definitely a fun experience:)

But while we there we came across quite a few beggars. This is not something that is unusual in India but something that makes me feel so helpless. I just don't know what to do when they come up to me. How many of them are actually in need? How many of them if I give them money will give it straight to their boss? How many will then assume that all westerns are good for is to give money, that they don't actually care? How would me giving them money actually help them? 

Sometimes I carry around biscuits to give to them, but most of the time they seem annoyed with that. Tonight one particular girl was following me around, I was avoiding eye contact and just trying to ignore her, but I hate that! I don't want to become desensitized to it all, I don't want to push them away like they are nothing. They are people, with hearts and souls, they have been created with personalities and purposes. 

So I decided I would try to hold her hand, look her in the eyes and give her some food. She did not like that one bit. So how do we show these people Gods love? How do we actually help them? 

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:31-46

What you do to the least of these you do for me. This is a BIG call, and a strong warning, we are to clothe the naked, feed the hungry etc.. Does that mean we go and help every beggar we see, every person in need that we ever come across, this is something I would definitely be willing to try. I want to love, to care for every person I come across but I can't. If I tried I would probably be left feeling tired, deflated and unsuccessful!

In a instant how do we do we show God's love with the beggars we come across? It is hard and I don't know if there is an answer.

This is something I have been pondering. I was asking God what do I do, and I felt like He said to me.. Ask them their name, there is so much power in someone's name, God calls each one of us by name. 

'To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.' John 10:3 

When I have been to the different homes here and the children tell us their name and we remember it, there is so much joy on their faces. When we remember someone's name it is like we are saying you are special, you are valued! 

Names in the Bible are picked for people very specifically, and are very important! So maybe to ask their name, is to say you have value, you have worth and maybe God can use that to reveal himself to them. I don't know, maybe it's something I can try. 

Please pray for me and with me as I encounter people in poverty. People who are poor not only physically but also spiritually. Pray that I would learn to follow the Spirits leading on how He wants me to minister to people here, especially those on the streets. 

Below are some photos of the fun we have had in Bangalore with some close family friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment