Friday, June 12, 2015

Blessed to be a blessing

Firstly let me start of by saying a big thank you to all of you who blessed me immensely before leaving for India! Thank you for the cards, money and kind words! I feel truly blessed by the amazing people God has surround me with in Australia! I have been blessed to be a blessing! 

Well we made it safely to India and are currently in the beautiful OOTY which is over 3000m above sea level. We had a good flight and were met at the airport by Pastor Mark. It was such a joy to be greeted by a smiling familiar face.

Coming out of the airport car park we were then greeted with the familiar sounds of beeping horns and chaotic traffic. There is really nothing like it, and as we drove and saw motorbikes and autos weaving in and out of traffic, as we saw buses overloaded with people, as we saw people in such beautiful, bright colored clothing there was a sense of relief and rest. We are back!! We are in India!! 

We came straight to OOTY where I have enjoyed just walking the streets, going down to the market, being in and with the people of India. Mum, dad and Hope have all enjoyed catching up with people they know from Hebron School from when they were here for 3 years. 

I think God has been teaching me a bit more of being still. I have had a bit of down time. More then I really want and have almost been feeling aggravated that I don't have a whole lot to do. Life before coming here was so chaotic, with all sorts of ministries and college it was rare for me to really get a chance to stop.

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm‬ ‭46‬:‭10‬

But God has been teaching me to just be still before Him. I have had some time with Him to stop and to know He is God. To stop and draw near to Him and to be filled. I have had time to read the Bible and journal. I have really seen this time as a time when He has been filling me so that I may go and bless others in the future. I am Blessed to be a blessing! 

However in saying that there have still been times of doing things as well. The highlight of the week so far is a kids club I went to. It is run by some of the teachers from Hebron school held in a local Indian house. We had around 18 Indian kids and 5 adults all crammed into the living room, which is the size of my bedroom (not that big). A lady told the story of Zacchaeus and then we did a craft. I connected with these 2 boys and was sitting chatting and coloring in with them. They then sang us these cute songs in Tamil, with actions and everything. 

As we were there I was reminded again that this is what I love to do. To be with the real people of India, especially children. To be sitting with them, talking with them, being on the same level as them (which is hard sometimes because they so often treat white people like they're royalty which makes me feel so uncomfortable)! 

In my conversation with the boys I was struck by how easy it was to chat with them (although at times language was a little frustrating, I wish we could instantly speak another language). They noticed my phone and asked me what kind of phone it was. When I told them an Apple iPhone they were shocked and excited all at the same time. They then offered me 100 rupees ($2.50) to buy it off me haha, I politely refused. But it was a challenge to me, they thought the iPhone was such an amazing thing (which it is) but how often do I take it for granted?! It is just expected that every person owns one, and that you are to keep upgrading even when you old phone still works fine. 

I could tell you more stories and more detail but I should probably bring this to a close. I will try to make my next post shorter :) below are some photos and prayer and praise points. Enjoy! 

Pray FOR
- contentment with being still this week 
- opportunities to speak truth to the people of India of God's love for each one of them
- God to reveal to me more of what He would have me do in the future 

Praise God FOR
- safe arrival 
- meeting an Indian in Malaysia who is from Brisbane, whom we will keep in contact with 
- The provision of money for both me and my family 
- the many people we have been able to reconnect with 
- my time with the boys at kids club 

No comments:

Post a Comment